My son Alexander has Autism and needs a lot of therapy. I just found out today that he has only 2 sessions left that our insurance will pay for. Our insurance will only pay 30 visits of speech therapy per calender year. I will find a way to get my son the help he needs; I'm just not sure how yet. Early intervention with Autism is very important. I already have him enrolled in special education classes at GISD, where he also receives speech and occupational therapy. These therapies are only 2-4 times a month and in a group setting for 15 to 30 minutes. This time is crucial but also lacking compared to the outside therapy he was receiving through our insurance. The therapy received through the insurance gave him a hour of one on one speech and occupational therapy. With this benefit gone, I am devastated. The new year is coming with a new set of thirty visits, but we have to meet a $3000 deductible first. Then on top of that, 30 visits for 52 weeks, still isn't enough therapy. How do I know this? I know because of plenty of research, and contact with a lot of professionals in the field. Alexander needs to have speech and occupational therapy on a more consistent basis. I believe that he needs to have these therapies twice a week for an hour each.
I am spending all of my free time trying to find resources to help Alexander. I am currently researching fundraisers, and government assistant programs. The more I learn, and the more I speak with others, the more help I find. The next calender event is to attend our first Autism support group. I am sooooooo excited to speak with other people who have similar situations. The group leader said that the kids are welcome, and it's a place where they can just be autistic. In other words, I won't have to worry about how he acts because everyone will understand, and their kids will be doing similar things. Alexander can go, and not be reprimanded for any non ordinary behaviors.
www.geneseeautism.org
One of my best friends is a teacher at the Sanilac ISD and I've gone to her class a few times and those kids have the biggest hearts as I'm sure your son does too. The way the teacher interacts with the students just amazes me. I wish you the best in finding help for your son.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I read one of your post it amazes me on how much you have had to go though. I can not believe your insurance will not pay for something that a little boy needs. That is just horrid! I hope your search for programs goes well.
ReplyDeleteI would encourage you to continue your research in what's available. In your situation, knowledge really is power! I would suggest if you haven't already, begin to learn many of the techniques yourself when it comes to the behavioral therapy. A highly recommended program is ABA therapy and there may be some type of visuals in the form of DVD's where you can learn the technique yourself to go along with your reading. You may have to search websites to order from professional book sellers (the same place a university or professional would order from. It is recommended that children receive daily ABA therapy for so many hours per day. I say the best way to do this is to "unofficially" become your child's teacher.
ReplyDelete